Globalink Research Awards
The Mitacs Globalink Research Awards program provides funding to support senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct 12-24 week research projects overseas - research in all disciplines. It also provides an opportunity for faculty at Canadian universities to strengthen existing international research collaborations by connecting with colleagues around the world through the mobility of students in Mitacs partner countries: Australia, Brazil, mainland China, EU member countries, Israel, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, United Kingdom and United States. Student recipients of the Globalink Research Award will develop research skills, cultural fluency and a professional network, becoming part of Canada’s new generation of global innovators. Applications are accepted at any time; however, recommended deadlines are set by Mitacs to facilitate application processing and the timely receipt of funds. See the detailed program guide on the Mitacs website.
Value and Duration
- Up to $6,000 to cover travel and accommodation costs for a minimum of 12 weeks and up to a maximum of 24 weeks
- SGPS requires a minimum of five (5) business days to review a complete application before providing the authorization signature. SGPS submits the authorized application to Mitacs International.
- After submission to Mitacs, the adjudication period at the agency takes approximately 4 weeks. Mitacs suggests that applicants submit their applications at least 10-12 weeks prior to the start of the project to allow adequate time to make necessary travel and accommodation arrangements, obtain necessary travel documents, and complete necessary international pre-departure requirements.
Students in Canada on a study permit cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship. Students with Canadian citizenship and Permanent Residents of Canada can undertake research in any partner country, regardless of additional citizenship status.
To be eligible to apply, an applicant:
- Can be a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or an international student with a valid study permit.
- Must be registered for full-time studies at Western University as a senior undergraduate or graduate student
- Must demonstrate skills and interest suitable to the project in question
- Have a home academic supervisor with a faculty appointment at Western
- Have identified a host supervisor who is a recognized faculty member at an accredited university in a Mitacs partner country
- Must meet all necessary travel requirements for the intended destination
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree
- Can hold other awards while holding a Mitacs Globalink Research Award.
- Have not previously received a Mitacs Globalink Research Award
How to Apply
An applicant must:
- Contact our Mitacs liaison, Erin Azzopardi, to guide you through the application process.
- Carefully read through the Program Administration information on the Mitacs website.
- an international research project, involving one of the Mitacs partner countries listed above, in which they would like to participate
- A Western research supervisor (Home Supervisor)
- A research supervisor at the partner university (Host Supervisor)
- Develop a project proposal in collaboration with both the Home and Host Supervisors.
- Complete the Application package which includes the following six (6) components:
- Proposal Application
- Signature page (SGPS provides the authorizing signature in lieu of the Office of Research Services, and SGPS provides the final signature. ALL other signatures must be obtained prior to submission of documents to SGPS)
- Student CV - use of the Mitacs CV template is mandatory
- Host Supervisor's CV, outlining their funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised.
- Two (2) Letters of Support, one from the Home Supervisor and one from the Host Supervisor.
- No transcript is required.
- Submit the complete Application package to to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) at email@example.com
- Once the Application has been reviewed by SGPS, the final authorizing signature is provided by SGPS.
- Application is submitted to Mitacs (CC to student and supervisor) by SGPS.
After Approval and Prior to Travel
Once approved, Mitacs provides a Notice of Award by email to the student, SGPS and the Home Supervisor.
- The student must complete the following before Mitacs will release the funds to the University:
*Funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.
- In consultation with Western International prior to departure, the Student must:
- Participate in a pre-departure preparation
- Enroll in Western’s Safety Away database.
- Have Western International sign the Mitacs International Pre-Departure form.
- Western International notifies Mitacs of the completion of the above.
- Funds are released to Western and paid to the Student via Student Centre.
*Travel is not permitted before final approval has been granted by Mitacs and Western International. Mitacs is not responsible for any costs incurred before the application has been approved. Travel must not be initiated until Mitacs has received all paperwork including the International Pre-Departure Form, the Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics Form, and the application has been approved.
Note that regions of the six (6) Mitacs partner countries are subject to official travel advisories placed by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development. See Western's Student Safety Abroad Website to learn more about how to determine the level of advisory for the location to which you are proposing to travel, and the authorization process for students wishing to travel to regions subject to official travel warnings. If you have questions about Western’s Student Safety Abroad Policy, or about your destination, please contact Robert Gough.
Receiving Award Funds
Globalink Research Award funds are normally received at Western and the money is applied to the recipient's account in Student Centre prior to departure date. For some of the special calls described above, funds may be delievered to students in the destination country or institution. All funds are to be used for direct costs related to traveling to the research location and accommodation according to what was approved in the application. It is very important to retain receipts for any costs incurred for items approved in the application budget as copies must be submitted with the Travel Expense Report. (see Post-Travel Requirements)
There are two Reports to complete upon return from the visit abroad:
- the student and both supervisors must complete a Final Report and submit it to Mitacs.
- the student must complete a Travel Expense Report, including receipts, and submit it to SGPS if you are a graduate student, or to Western International if you are an undergraduate student. The Home Supervisor must also sign the Report.
Western International: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mitacs: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency Website: https://www.mitacs.ca/globalink/globalink-research-award
Updated January 22, 2018