Western Graduate & Postdoctoral  Studies

VIETNAM -- Vietnam International Education Development (VIED)


Western University is delighted to receive applications from exceptional students who will be applying for the Vietnam International Education Development (Doctoral) program.  For information regarding the program itself please contact the Ministry of Education and Training, Vietnam International Education Development for assistance.  The following details the additional steps that applicants to the VIED program must take when applying to Western.


  • Applicants must be a citizen of Vietnam.
  • Applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s Research or Ph.D. program at Western University or have applied and received an Offer of Admission from Western.
  • For students to continue receiving the support established in this Agreement, the student must be enrolled and maintain their full-time registration and academic status.

How to Apply to Western

For a full overview of the application process at Western, please visit Apply for Admission.

In addition to completing the application, please ensure you:

  1. Indicate your VIED sponsorship agreement in the Supplemental Questions section of the online application.
  2. Email a pdf copy of your preliminary sponsorship or scholarship letter to Olga Paladi, Manager, International Recruitment, opaladi@uwo.ca
    • Documentation must detail the financial support amount and the number of years the funding has been granted (two years for a master’s program and a minimum of four years for a Ph.D. program).

Admission Requirements

Be sure to visit program-specific websites you are interested in applying to as each graduate program has specific admissions requirements.

Master’s Programs

Applicants must possess a four-year degree from an accredited university. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies requires, at least, a 70% average across courses taken in the last two full-time years of the undergraduate degree. Equivalent qualifications may be considered based on the standards of the discipline or profession. 

Doctoral Programs

Applicants must possess a Master’s degree or equivalent from a university, college or institute, and provide evidence of research potential. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies requires, at least, a 70% average in the Master’s degree, as determined by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. 

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language by a satisfactory* achievement within the last two years in one of the following:

  • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score is 86, with no individual score below 20 for the internet based version, or 550 for the paper and pencil version, although some programs require a higher minimum score. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
  • The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) of the British Council. The minimum acceptable score is 6 out of 9. The IELTS is offered in 6 test centres in the US and 3 in Canada.
  • The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online.
  • The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). The minimum acceptable score is 60. The CAEL Assessment is offered in several countries throughout the world as well as Canada.
  • Western English Language Centre. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level.
  • CultureWorks. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level.
  • Fanshawe College’s ESL Program. The requirement is graduation from Level 5, Advanced Academic Preparation, with a minimum 80% in all components.

*Programs at Western may require a higher minimum score than those listed above.

Students who are required to present evidence of proficiency in English must make their own arrangements to write the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or CAEL and to have the official results sent directly to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the testing agency. Those graduates from CultureWorks or Fanshawe College’s ESL Program must provide official proof of graduation.


Other formal evidence of graduate level proficiency in English may be considered in lieu of these test scores. Students must contact the graduate program(s) to which they have applied in order to determine if test scores will not be required. A decision will then be made at the discretion of the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies for exemption. For the French and Spanish programs only, evidence of proficiency in English is a degree requirement but not a requirement for admission.