Western Graduate & Postdoctoral  Studies

Visiting Students

Western University, Graduate Studies - Students on Path in the Fall

Western accepts several visiting graduate students each year from all over the world to conduct research or take courses at the University. Students may choose to become a visiting student for several reasons:

Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Program

The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Plan allows a graduate student registered at a university in Ontario (Home University) to take graduate courses at Western (Host University) without completing further admission formalities. The student pays fees to the Home University and is classified as a visiting student at the Host University, where s/he pays no fees. Interested students must complete an Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Application available at their current university and return it to their home department for approval.

Visiting Graduate Students (Research Only)

Visiting Graduate Students (Research only) are allowed to conduct research at Western but do not fall under an approved exchange program. Students are registered as Full-Time Visiting Graduate Students on the condition that they cannot take courses at Western. They are not provided with a Western transcript. If they are international students they pay UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) fees but no tuition. 

Interested students must complete a Visiting Graduate Student (Research Only) Application at their current university and return it to the Western graduate program for approval. Western graduate programs are advised to use the template letter of approval/invitation for submission with the application form for processing.

A Letter of Acceptance will be issued as soon as the application package has been processed. After receiving their Letter of Acceptance, Visiting Graduate Students must apply for a Study Permit, following the procedures described in Western University's Application Guidelines

Canadian Universities Graduate Transfer Agreement

Western is a member of CAGS (Canadian Association for Graduate Studies). With the approval of their program and faculty, students registered in a program at a CAGS member university (the home institution) may take courses for credit at Western (the host institution). The only documentation required is a single-page request form that is completed by the Deans and Graduate Chairs of the host and home institutions. For students in course-based programs, no more than two half-courses can be taken at another institution.