Visiting Students


Western accepts several visiting graduate students each year from all over the world to conduct research or take courses at the University. Students may choose to become a visiting student for several reasons:

  • to broaden their research knowledge and skills under the mentorship of an expert within a particular subject
  • to take part in a collaborative research project currently taking place at Western
  • to take advantage of research facilities, centres, laboratories and academic resources not available at their home institution
  • to take advantage of a specific course(s) not available at their home institution

The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Plan allows a graduate student registered at a university in Ontario (Home University) to take graduate courses at Western (Host University) without completing further admission formalities. The student pays fees to the Home University and is classified as a visiting student at the Host University, where s/he pays no fees. Interested students must complete an Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Application available at their current university and return it to their home department for approval.

Visiting Graduate Students (VGS) are allowed to conduct research at the university but do not fall under an approved exchange program. Students are registered as full-time Visiting Graduate Students on the condition that they cannot take courses at Western. VGS will be charged a processing fee and a fee for a Western Student ID card. International VGS will also be charged with the University Health Insurance Plan.

Interested students must complete a Visiting Graduate Student (Research Only) Application (above), ensuring that all requested information is clearly indicated. The completed form should be submitted to the proposed host supervisor at Western University.

For additional information, please see the appropriate Application Form.

Western is a member of CAGS (Canadian Association for Graduate Studies). With the approval of their program and faculty, students registered in a program at a CAGS member university (the home institution) may take courses for credit at Western (the host institution). The only documentation required is a single-page request form that is completed by the Deans and Graduate Chairs of the host and home institutions. For students in course-based programs, no more than two half-courses can be taken at another institution.